If you’ve ever tried my Chipotle Rice or Wild Rice recipe, you’ll realize I’m a big fan of vibrant and flavorful dishes. Today I’m again going to make another tasty recipe: Mexican Rice. Mexican rice is a flavorful rice dish staple in Mexican cuisine. It is often served as a side dish along with various meals.
Rice cookers are a common kitchen appliance designed to make rice. So, can you make Mexican rice in a rice cooker? The answer is Yes. You can find many recipes for Mexican rice in a rice cooker online. But to achieve that restaurant style, taste, and texture, you need proper step-by-step recipe instructions. Here I am with that. I will share the recipe for Mexican rice, which I have tried at home, and they do come out as restaurant-style delicious rice.
This article will answer your question: Are Mexican and Spanish rice the same? Then, I will share step-by-step instructions for making Mexican rice in a rice cooker. So, my fellow foodies, get let into it!
Table of Contents
Is Spanish Rice Mexican Rice?
Many people asked these questions are Mexican rice and Spanish rice the same? The simple answer is No; they are slightly different. The most notable difference lies in their texture. Spanish rice has a firmer texture and a strong aroma. It also absorbs more water. At the same time, Mexican rice has a fluffy and delicate texture than white rice. When cooking Spanish rice, it requires more effort and time to achieve its desired texture.
How Can You Make Mexican Rice in a Rice Cooker?
- A Rice Cooker
- 1½ cup of long-grain white rice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 red diced onion
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- ½ tsp of cumin
- 1 tbsp of chipotle paste
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- First thing first. Start by rinsing the rice thoroughly in a colander. Drain and put them aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the diced red onion for about 2 mins until it softens slightly.
- Then put the rice in the pan and stir fry for about 3 mins until the rice kernels become light golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic, chipotle paste, tomato paste and cumin. Then sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Transfer the sautéed mixture from the pan to your rice cooker.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and mix everything well.
- Set the rice cooker to the white rice setting and let it cook.
- Once the rice cooker switches to the warm setting, let the rice rest for 10 minutes. This allows the flavours to combine, making the rice more flavorful.
- At last, squeeze the juice from a lime onto the rice and mix it gently.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro to add a fresh flavour, and serve.
Is Mexican Rice Usually Gluten-Free?
Traditional Mexican rice is typically gluten-free, primarily consisting of rice, vegetables, spices, and broth. However, there are different recipes for making Mexican rice, where they add sauces, flavourings, or condiments. These things might have gluten in them. So, it varies from recipe to recipe. When dining out, you can confirm the ingredients with the cook or chef to ensure they are gluten-free. However, Homemade Mexican rice recipes that use basic, naturally gluten-free ingredients are generally safe for individuals with gluten sensitivities.
What do You Eat Mexican Rice with?
Mexican rice is a fantastic side dish that goes well with various meals. Here are a few serving suggestions for you:
- Tacos: Whether filled with meat, beans, or vegetables, tacos and Mexican rice make a well-balanced meal.
- Burritos: The combination of a hearty burrito and the vibrant flavour of Mexican rice goes so well.
- Mexican Soups: Enjoy Mexican rice in soups like tortilla soup.
- Mexican Casseroles: Add Mexican rice into casseroles and gets a lovely depth of flavour and texture.
- Beans: The textures and flavours of beans and Mexican rice complement each other and make a nutritious duo.
- Fajitas: The sizzling flavours of fajitas are perfectly balanced by the softness of Mexican rice.
- Grilled Meats: Mexican rice adds a delicious contrast when served alongside grilled chicken, beef, or pork.
Mexican rice is quite popular these days. People enjoy dining out and eating this flavorful dish. But if you want to make it at home, you can. With the right combination of ingredients and a few instructions, you will get the perfect texture and flavour of that fluffy Mexican rice that pairs well with various dishes. So go ahead and try out this recipe, and it adds a touch of Mexican cuisine to your dining experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I achieve the vibrant red colour in Mexican rice?
The red colour in Mexican rice comes from tomato sauce or tomatoes. So, use this ingredient in your recipe.
2. Can I use brown rice for Mexican rice instead of white rice?
Yes, you can use brown rice to make Mexican rice. But it might take longer cooking time and require slightly more liquid.
3. Can you use a pre-mixed packet for cooking Mexican rice?
You can use pre-mixed packets to make Mexican rice in a rice cooker. It saves you time and is quite simple.