What is better than rice? Maybe Garlic rice😉. It is a tasty and aromatic variation of plain rice. So, if you are bored of making the same plain rice daily, try this. Garlic rice is a popular dish in many cuisines worldwide and is often served as a side dish or a base for various main courses.
Garlic is one of my favourite spices when making rice because of its distinctive flavour and health benefits. When it comes to making rice, the best appliance to perform this job is a rice cooker. It offers convenience and saves your time from constant looking over. You can also make other dishes in the rice cooker, like Steel cut oats, Congee, Grits or even eggs. So, this appliance now offers a variety of cooking jobs. Today we are going to make Garlic rice in the rice cooker.
In this article, I will share simple steps to prepare Garlic Rice in your rice cooker. So please put on your aprons, and let’s begin!
Table of Contents
How to Make Garlic Rice in a Rice Cooker
- A Rice Cooker
- 2 cups of White Rice
- 1 tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 tbsp of Butter
- 4 cups of Water
- 1 Seasoning cube
- 1 tsp of Roasted Garlic powder
- Salt for taste
- Few black sesame seeds
- Take a rice cooker cup to measure 2 cups of rice.
- Rinse them thoroughly to remove excessive starch.
- Add rice and 4 cups of water to the rice cooker's inner pot.
- Then add butter, olive oil, seasoning cube, salt, and roasted garlic.
- Please give it a gentle stir.
- Turn on the rice cooker and press the 'Cook' button.
- When the garlic rice is done, sprinkle a little roasted garlic and a few black sesame seeds.
- Taste a little before you add salt. If you add salted vegan butter, you may not need to add salt to the rice.
- You can use brown rice instead of white rice. But its liquid quantity and cooking time will be different.
- Stir all the ingredients in the inner pot for even distribution of the flavours.
Serving Ideas for Flavorful Garlic Rice
Since Garlic rice is a side dish, you should get some serving options to enjoy it fully. So here are some serving ideas that will complement this dish.
- Pair with Grilled Veggies: Grilled veggies and garlic rice make a fantastic duo. Cook slices of colourful bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant on the grill until they are slightly brown and tender. Serve them over garlic rice.
- Top with Protein: Add a protein source to make your meal nutritious. Grilled chicken, marinated tofu, or even beans like black beans or chickpeas goes well with garlic rice and gives a nutritious dimension to your dish.
- Stir-Fry: You can also give your garlic rice a quick stir-fry. In a hot skillet, stir-fry a mix of vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, snap peas, and broccoli. Add your garlic rice to the pan and stir-fry it all together. You can add some soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, or a dash of sesame oil. This fusion of flavours will make an Asian-inspired delight.
- Cold Rice Salad: For a refreshing option, make a cold rice salad with your garlic rice. Chop fresh vegetables like cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and red onions. Toss them with the garlic rice and add a handful of chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro. Sprinkle on a light vinaigrette made with olive oil, lemon juice, and honey for a zesty salad.
- Add to Soups: Whether it’s vegetable soup, a hearty chilli, or a creamy tomato soup, add a scoop of garlic rice to give your soup a pleasant texture and an extra layer of flavour.
Read Also: Top 7 Best Zojirushi Rice Cookers
1. Is garlic rice suitable for different diets, like vegan or gluten-free?
Yes, garlic rice is suitable for different diets. Use plant-based butter or oil for a vegan version, and ensure that any seasonings you add are gluten-free if you’re following a gluten-free diet.
2. Can I use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder for rice cooker garlic rice?
Absolutely. Fresh garlic adds a robust flavour. Use 2-3 minced garlic cloves per cup of rice.
3. Can I add other ingredients, like vegetables or herbs, to the garlic rice in the rice cooker?
Feel free to add other ingredients to your garlic rice. Add diced vegetables, like carrots, peas, or bell peppers, for a flavorful twist. You can add fresh herbs like chopped parsley or cilantro before serving for extra freshness.
4. Should you sauté the garlic before putting it in the rice cooker for garlic rice?
No need to pre-sauté the garlic. Mince the garlic cloves and add them directly to the rice cooker with the rice and water. The rice cooker’s heat will gently infuse the garlic flavour into the rice as it cooks.