Are you tired of cooking yellow rice on the stove because you have to check it constantly, and it may get burned? Why not try cooking it in a rice cooker instead? Yellow rice is a traditional dish in Spanish, Indian, Sri Lanka, Afghan, and Filipino cuisines which is yellow –a colored dish. We make white rice yellow by adding saffron or turmeric. It is a healthy diet, has 0% cholesterol, and is rich in proteins.
Whether you’re a busy parent or a student, using a rice cooker is the best option for making your rice quickly. Rice cookers are a convenient and easy way to cook the perfect meal. With just a few simple steps, you will have your fluffy and flavorful rice ready to enjoy.
So, in this article, I will share the recipe for making yellow rice in a rice cooker, its nutritional values, and many more things.
Table of Contents
Is Yellow rice different from other Rice Types?
Yellow rice, also known as turmeric rice, is different from other types of rice in terms of its color and flavor. The yellow color of the rice comes when we add turmeric or saffron, which gives the rice a distinctive flavor.
Regarding nutritional value and cooking properties, yellow rice is similar to other types of rice. It is a type of white rice that still contains the same nutrients and cooks like other white rice varieties.
How to cook yellow rice in a rice cooker?
A rice cooker is a kitchen utensil that we find the best to cook yellow rice because rice cookers have a “keep warm” function, which keeps the rice warm until it is ready to be served.
How to cook yellow rice in a rice cooker
- Rice Cooker
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups of water or broth
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt for taste
- 2 tbsp of olive or any oil
- In the first step, rinse 2 cups of basmati rice in a cooking pot.
- Then add 1 ½ cups of water, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and olive oil to the pot.
- Mix all the ingredients until combined.
- Cover the rice cooker's lid and click the “White rice” option.
- Wait for 10 mins until the rice cooker gets to its "warm setting."
- Now open the lid, stir it, and perfect and fluffy rice is ready to serve.
- Use a long-grain white rice variety like Basmati rice with a nutty flavor and fluffy texture.
- Rinse the rice in cold water. It removes excess starch and ensures that the grains remain separate.
- Add chopped fresh herbs to your yellow rice dish before serving to make it more appealing.
- Don’t lift the lid while the rice is cooking. It can cause the steam to escape and affect the texture of the rice.
- Measure the ingredients correctly to get the perfect taste and texture.
What is the nutritional value of yellow rice?
100g of yellow rice contains 4.8g of protein, about 0.8 eggs, 0.2 chicken breast, or 0.3 cups of black beans. It also includes calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. Vitamins include vitamin b-6, thiamine, and folate.
What Can You serve with yellow rice?
There are many meal options that you can serve with yellow rice. Here we have a few suggestions. Serve your yellow rice with
Yellow rice is a healthy traditional dish and very easy to cook using a rice cooker. You can use it as a side dish or main course with many delicious side dishes. It is also rich in minerals and vitamins and is a delightful meal for diet-conscious people.
Like yellow rice, wild rice is also high in nutrients and has a nutty flavor that pairs well with various ingredients. If you want to learn how to make wild rice in a rice cooker, check out our easy and delicious recipe!
Is yellow rice being same as white rice?
Yellow rice is not variety like brown rice. They are white rice made yellow by adding turmeric or saffron.
Is yellow rice OK for weight loss?
Yellow rice is lower in calories, making it a healthy choice for those losing weight. It is also suitable for those who are maintaining their weight.
What kind of rice is yellow rice?
Yellow rice is made with basmati rice. We add turmeric and saffron for the yellow color.