Rice is a staple food in many cultures, but cooking it can be tricky. Are you sick of standing over a pot and waiting for water and rice to boil? Well, here is the Oster rice cooker as a game changer. This kitchen appliance allows you to set and forget about it. The rest is the work of the Oster Rice cooker!
The Oster rice cooker has many advanced features and accessories, like a measuring cup, a serving spatula, and a nonstick inner pot to help you make the perfect amount of rice and serve it without the mess. Do you want to learn Oster rice cooker instructions: How to unpack, set, and use it?
In this article, I will guide you on How to use the Oster Rice cooker to make rice, steam vegetables, and much more!
Table of Contents
Unpack your Oster Rice Cooker
I was using a rice cooker of another brand, but it gets worn out after some use. So, I decided to buy the Oster rice cooker because of its popularity of high quality and good functionality. Unpacking the rice cooker was relatively easy.
There was a total of 6 pieces in the box. The first was the heating element of the cooker. It has a cooking switch or lever, two indicator lights, and handles on both sides, which don’t get heated when cooking. The bottom of the base was quite supportive and did not slide during the cooking process.
Next is the glass lid with a small opening to let out heat. There was also a steam basket or tray to cook the vegetables and a nonstick inner pot. In the end, you got the serving spatula and instruction manual. You can assemble your Oster rice cooker by following the instructions in the manual.
How to Use an Oster Rice Cooker: Easy and Detailed Guide
The best thing about the Oster rice cooker is easy to use interface. You don’t have to be an expert in using it. Before you start using this appliance, gather everything you need before.
Things You’ll Need
Step by Step Instructions to use Oster Rice Cooker
Step 1: Prepare the Rice
The first step is to prepare the rice. Know how much amount of rice you want to make. One cup of raw rice will be enough for two servings. Use a measuring cup to measure the rice. Put the rice in the inner pot to wash them. Make sure your Oster rice cooker is unplugged.
Rinse the rice with cold water; it will remove the excess starch so the rice will not stick together or to the bottom of the pot.
Step 2: Determine the Water to Rice ratio
Let’s determine the water-to-rice ratio when making rice in the Oster rice cooker. This ratio depends on the type of rice you want to make. A good thumb of rule is:
Step 3: Add Rice & Water to Oster Rice Cooker
When you find the exact amount of rice and water ratio, put them into the inner pot and set it into the rice cooker. Make sure it is in contact with the heating element. Then plug in the rice cooker and close the glass lid.
Step 4: Turn on Rice Cooker
Now activate the Oster rice cooker and press the On-Switch Cook Button. Ensure that the amber Cook Light is on and let the cooking process complete. It takes 15 mins to cook most of the rice types.
Step 5: Fluff & Serve the Rice
When your rice is done, the appliance automatically switches to the warm setting, and its (green) light will stay On. The Rice Cooker will remain on warm Function until you unplug it from the wall outlet.
Please take out the rice from the cooker, fluff them with a spatula, and serve them to your family and guests.
How to Steam Vegetables in Oster Rice Cooker?
An Oster rice cooker can also steam the vegetables using the steam basket or tray. When we cook the veggies, it tends to preserve their nutrients and vibrant texture. Following are the instructions to steam veggies in the Oster rice cooker:
- Firstly, peel and cut the vegetables into small pieces.
- Then place the vegetables in the steamer tray.
- Add water to the inner pot. For 10 ounces of green beans, peas, corn, broccoli, or mixed vegetables, use ⅓ cup of water. The exact amount of water is for 8 ounces of chopped cauliflower or carrots and 5 ounces of spinach.
- Now adjust the steamer tray on the top of the inner pot. Close the glass lid and turn on the rice cooker.
- Set the rice cooker to cook for 30 to 35 minutes. All vegetables except corn and spinach take almost 30-35 mins. In contrast, corn takes 40 minutes to cook, while spinach takes 30 to 40 minutes.
- Turn off the rice cooker after the veggies are done, and carefully remove the steamer tray using tongs or oven mitts.
- Serve the steamed vegetables with other food as hot and enjoy!
The Easy Way to Clean Your Oster Rice Cooker: Maintenance Tips
Now you may be done with cooking your meal. It is time to clean the cooker. It is essential to clean the rice cooker regularly. Here is how you care for and clean the Oster rice cooker:
- Before you start cleaning the cooker, first unplug it from the outlet.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe the exterior of the heating element. Refrain from immersing it in the water.
- Use fine-grade sandpaper if foreign matter or food gets stuck in the heating element.
- To clean the inner pot, fill it with hot water and wash it with soap and a sponge. After that, dry it with a dry towel.
- Use lukewarm, soapy water to wash the paddle, measuring cup, and lid. You can also clean them in the dishwasher.
- After you are done with the cleaning process, let all the components dry before assembling them again.
Related Read: How to Clean Aroma Rice Cooker?
Related Read: How to Clean Cuckoo Rice Cooker?
If you are planning to get a Rice cooker, Oster is a great option. It is an easy-to-use appliance and always gives appealing results. It makes the cooking process much simpler and more efficient for one person or a large gathering. With a little effort, you can master using this rice cooker to prepare various rice dishes like white rice, brown rice, sushi rice, and more.
Related Read: Aroma Rice Cooker Instructions for Perfect Rice Cooking
What is the minimum quantity to cook in an Oster rice cooker?
It depends on the specific model of the rice cooker. However, many Oster rice cookers generally need at least 1 cup of uncooked rice to cook rice perfectly.
How long does it take to cook rice in an Oster rice cooker?
A full pot of rice takes about 30 minutes to prepare. The time range is 33-36 mins for brown and white rice.
What is the cook button on the Oster rice cooker?
It is the ‘cooking lever’ present on the face of the pot. When you fill all the contents in the inner pot and plug in the appliance, push down this lever to start cooking.