As a diligent homemaker, I love to try different recipes and add a variety to their daily meals. There, I found Orzo Pasta, which has become a perfect choice. It is like a Middle Eastern version of rice, but it’s instant and delicious.
In Australia, they call it “Risoni.” What makes it so special is its incredible versatility. You can try it with all sorts of seasonings. And it’s not only a hit with my family but also a crowd-pleaser when we have friends and loved ones over. So today, I’m excited to share my tested recipe of orzo with you people. As you know, I am a huge fan of rice cookers and love using it. So, we will also make this orzo recipe in a rice cooker.
This article will explore how you can cook Orzo Rice in a rice cooker instantly, serving suggestions and a few tips and tricks to get the best results. So, keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is Orzo?
Orzo is an instant-cooking pasta shaped like a large grain of rice. It’s easily found in grocery stores and available in different sizes. The nutritious orzo pasta is made from refined wheat flour.
People often question whether orzo and rice are the same. So here is the answer. Technically, both are categorized as cereal grains, but they are not identical and have distinct features.
Let’s explore the distinct features of Orzo and Rice:
|Creamier and softer
|Longer cooking time
|Lower in calories
|Higher in calories
|Suitable for Gluten Sensitivities
Rice Cooker Orzo Recipe
- A Rice Cooker
- Measuring cup
- 1 ½ cup uncooked orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from half of the zested lemon
- 1½ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- First, turn on the Sauté-Then-Simmer® function on the rice cooker.
- Put some olive oil in the pot and let it get warm.
- Add the uncooked orzo to the pot and stir it until it turns a light brown color. It will take about a minute.
- After that, put the garlic and thyme into the pot and cook it until it becomes fragrant.
- Then, pour one cup of vegetable broth, stir, and allow it to boil.
- Keep adding the remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth until it starts boiling.
- Close the lid of the rice cooker and let it cook for 14-16 minutes until most of the broth has been absorbed and the mixture becomes tender.
- Then, gently mix in lemon Zest, juice, and peas for about 3 minutes so that the peas become warm and soft.
- Finally, put in the grated parmesan cheese, pepper, and salt.
- Stir it well so the cheese is melted, and all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Fluff up the orzo, and your delicious dish is ready to enjoy as a tasty side or even a main course.
- Remember to clean the rice cooker because its maintenance is also important.
I have tried orzo rice with various seasonings after getting a delightful response from my family and loved ones. Let’s explore versatile recipes tested by myself at home:
1. Creamy Orzo Pasta
Whenever my kids crave creamy pasta, I take 2 cups grated cheese and ½ cup cream with orzo rice recipe. It’s become a family favourite that I prepare often.
2. Cold Orzo Salad
You can also make orzo salad. Just toss orzo with baby spinach, marinara sauce, and fresh basil. This refreshing salad is best for summer.
3. Orzo Rice with Fish
I’ve explored various fish pairings with orzo rice, such as lemon-glazed salmon, sheet pan chilli-lime, and brown sugar-crusted salmon. The results were amazing.
4. Orzo Rice with Shrimp, Olives and Mushrooms
5. Orzo Rice with diverse Beans
For a nutritious option, try making soup with orzo rice and various beans. It’s a filling and delicious meal rich in flavour and protein. It’s a great choice for family gatherings, even if you’re not a soup fan.
Here are some valuable tips and tricks to enhance your orzo cooking experience:
To sum up, cooking orzo rice in the rice cooker is instant and convenient. It allows you to enjoy the delicious and hearty recipe with various seasonings. Following the above quick recipe, you can cook fluffy, tender and yummy orzo pasta so that your family will appreciate your efforts.
1. Is Orzo rice gluten-free?
No, Orzo is pasta made from wheat flour. You can try gluten-free products like Banza Rice, made from chicken peas.
2. Can you use normal rice for Orzo Rice?
Yes, you can use a variety of rice like white rice, Jasmine rice or long grain rice as an alternative to the Orzo Rice recipe.
3. Is Orzo healthier than Rice?
Yes, it is a healthier option than rice because it contains a higher concentration of proteins and carbohydrates.