As a homemaker, how we often ask these questions daily: what to cook for today? So, if you want an answer to this daily puzzle, let’s follow today’s recommendation: sticky rice.
Sticky rice or glutinous rice, is a staple in many Asian cuisines and beyond. Its unique texture and sweet, nutty flavor make it a versatile ingredient for sweet and savory dishes. To save your effort, I will share the recipe for cooking sticky rice in a rice cooker. So, you will get some time to spend with your family or yourself.
In this article, I will cover everything about sticky rice and how you can use it in other meals. So, let’s begin.
Table of Contents
Sticky Rice Recipe
How to cook sticky rice in a rice cooker?
- A Rice Cooker
- 2 cups of sticky rice
- 2 ½ cups of water
- ½ teaspoon koshersalt
- First, measure the 2 cups of sweet, glutinous, or Jasmine rice.
- Put the rice into a fine mesh strainer.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly under running tap water until the water runs clear to remove excess starch.
- Pour rinsed sticky rice and 2 ½cups of water into the rice cooker's cooking pot.
- Once your rice is clean, it's time to soak it.
- Pour 2 cups of the rinsed sticky rice into the pot and soak it for 40 minutes.
- To add flavour, sprinkle in ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and gently stir.
- Then, place the pot into your rice cooker and close the lid securely.
- Plug in your rice cooker and choose the "sticky rice or brown rice" setting.
- Once the rice cooker has finished cooking, it will switch to a "warm setting" for 15 minutes.
- Use a rice paddle to fluff the sticky rice before serving.
- Jasmine, brown basmati rice, and white basmati rice are best for sticky rice.
- You can add seasonings like ginger or garlic powder to enhance the flavor of sticky rice.
- Add a few tablespoons of coconut oil for an extra soft and creamy texture.
What is the Difference between White Rice and Sticky Rice?
People often ask what is the difference between white rice and sticky rice. Let’s discover these two rice varieties. Their difference in texture and starch content can transform the taste and experience of your favorite dishes.
|Characteristic||White Rice||Sticky Rice|
|Texture when cooked||Fluffy and individually textured grains||Soft, sticky, and glue-like texture|
|Starch Content||Lower amylopectin starch content||Higher amylopectin starch content|
|Soaking Requirement||Not Needed||Needed|
|Popular Varieties||Varieties like Basmati, Jasmine, and Arborio||Glutinous rice (commonly used for sticky rice)|
Cooking Sticky Rice with a Bamboo Basket
Cooking sticky rice in a bamboo basket is a traditional and flavorful method that needs expertise. Let’s follow a detailed, step-by-step guide for making sticky rice in a bamboo basket.
1. Rinse the Rice Thoroughly
First, rinse sticky rice thoroughly. This step removes excess starch and ensures that your rice does not become clumpy as it cooks.
2. Prepare the Bamboo Basket
Here, keep in mind two things regarding using the bamboo basket method. First, wash the bamboo basket with mild soap water and rinse with clear water.
Then, run the basket through one rice program through a rice cooker without rice. It means using enough water to cover halfway to the bottom of the basket. Then, you remove the basket and leave it to dry.
3. Addressing Gaps in the Basket
Now, look at the gaps or holes in the basket. If these gaps are large enough for dry rice to fall through, it’s a good idea to line the basket with cheesecloth or muslin before adding the rice. This ensures that your rice stays inside during cooking.
4. Setting Up in the Rice Cooker
Place the bamboo basket inside a regular cooking container with or without the lining. Ensure this container is placed within the main container of your rice cooker.
Add water to the rice cooker for steam, ensuring it rises halfway up the base of the bamboo basket. Too much water can make the rice soggy, and too little won’t give you enough steam for cooking.
5. Start the Cooking Process
Close the lid of your rice cooker and start the cooking process. Once your rice cooker shuts off, carefully lift the bamboo basket out of the rice cooker.
Sticky Rice is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many cuisines, making it a fantastic ingredient for sweet and savory dishes.
Also Read: How to Reheat Rice in a Rice Cooker?
Also Read: 10 Best Non Toxic Rice Cookers in 2023